Magento in the Cloud
Editor’s note: A version of this post originally appeared on the Jelastic blog.
The online shopping industry is gaining popularity all over the world, and e-commerce sites are extremely popular. There are many options available online to build an e-commerce website, but Magento is considered to be one of the most robust, flexible and scalable open source e-commerce platforms on the market.
Magento also includes a wide range of tools to build and manage an online store. It is well known in the developer community for its use of object-oriented programming (OOP) and especially for its use of the EAV model. This allows Magento to be much more versatile than most e-commerce platforms at storing a large range of data.
Now, combine Magento with the the autoscaling of a cloud environment and you have a truly powerful e-commerce tool ready to scale to meet any traffic you generate.
Deploying your Magento to ServInt’s Jelastic cloud is simple, and requires no special coding. Just follow these few simple steps below.
Create an environment
1. Log into ServInt’s Jelastic Manager or create an account.
2. Click Create environment at the top left corner of the dashboard.
3. Select the PHP tab and pick an Apache application server, PHP v5.3 and MySQL database.
4. Once your environment is created and appears in the environment list, check to see if the gd.so module has been activated by clicking the Config button for your Apache server.
5. Navigate to the etc folder and open the php.ini file
6. If the needed module is not displayed in the list, add extension=gd.so after extension=mysql.so as shown below.
7. Save the changes and restart the node.
Upload the application
1. FRom your personal computer, go to the official Magento website, choose .zip format in expandable list and click Download.
2. Log in or register (if you don’t have an account) in the next window. Downloading will then begin.
3. Upload the downloaded .zip archive to the Deployment manager in Jelastic.
4. Once the package is in Jelastic, deploy it to the environment you have just created.
1. When the Magento deployment has finished, click the Open in the browser button for your MySQL node.
2. When you created the environment, Jelastic sent you an email with credentials to the database. Create an account and the database with the application using these credentials.
1. Click the Open in browser button for Apache in your environment.
2. The process of installation is rather simple, but the Database Connection section in the Configuration tab deserves some explanation. Fill in the required fields in the following way:
- Choose MySQL for Database Type.
- State the Host: insert the link to your database without “http://” and “/”.
- Enter the Database Name, which you entered while creating database.
- Enter the User Name, which you entered while creating database, or just root.
- Enter the User Password, which you entered while creating database, or which you received by email.
- Click Continue.
3. Create your admin account.
That’s all! You’re ready to use the Magento e-commerce platform in the cloud.The Tech Bench is an ongoing blog series featuring the answers to common questions the ServInt MST fields everyday. You can find this and more great tech tips in the ServInt KnowledgeBase.